charitable # 13341 2114 RR0001
Welcome to the John Howard Society of Toronto.
We provide programs to individuals who have been in conflict with the law or those at risk of. Our goal is to make Toronto safer through programs that focus on crime prevention, intervention and reintegration. We have four offices in the Toronto area (Eglinton West, Danforth and Scarborough). We provide New Beginnings!
The John Howard Society of Toronto is pleased to announce that following a merger in 2015 with St. Leonard’s Society of Toronto, it now stands as one of the largest local providers of community correctional services and programs.
Important Notice: Bail Court at College Park
You can have your bail hearing by video!
- The Toronto Bail program is now on site at the Toronto South Detention Centre. You can request
to see them.
- Ontario Legal Aid workers and Duty Counsel are also on-site to provide you with legal advice
and assist you with your Legal Aid Application.
- Duty Counsel at the institution can represent you at your bail hearing and make submissions
on your behalf. They can also represent you on guilty pleas via video link.
- Appearing by video eliminates transportation issues, as you can be released from the institution
with your property instead of having to make your way back to pick it up
- Appearing by video saves you from having to be transported to court. You can also take your
property with you when you are released.
You can ask the court to appear by video from the institution on your next appearance. You will then have an opportunity to contact sureties and speak to your lawyer who can assist you by helping to create a bail plan for your release. Your lawyer or Duty Counsel can appear at the courthouse and represent you and your interests, while you remain at the institution and appear by video.
Video appearances can permit Duty Counsel or your lawyer to contact sureties and organize a plan for release. You do not have to make a time consuming in-person court appearance for this to take place.
Carol Walker 647-429-7808 ext:4951
Bail Program Worker
Monday: 10:00am to 7:00 pm
Tuesday: 10:00am to 5:30 pm
Wednesday: 10:00 am to 5:30 pm
Thursday: 10:00am -7:00 pm
Friday: 10:00am – 5:30 pm