The Bail Verification and Supervision program supervises individuals, 16 years and older, in the community who have been charged with a criminal offence, but do not have the social ties or finances to meet bail conditions.
How Do I apply?
A referral to the Bail Verification and Supervision Program can be made by Defense Counsel, Crown Attorney or the accused.
Am I eligible?
John Howard staff attend Bail Court daily, and will meet with you to determine eligibility.
What is my responsibility?
- Must meet with my Bail Supervisor at least once a week
- Comply with my conditions of release and the rules of the program
- Work with my Bail Supervisor to determine a case plan
What are the benefits of the program?
- Allows you to live/ maintain your housing in the community while awaiting trial
- Access to a Bail Supervisor to address your risk and needs
- Combination of individual services and community referral
- Provides support and guidance to you during a stressful period
- Focuses on skill development to maintain a prosocial lifestyle and prevent further criminal activity
- Research based
What are some ways can the program help me?
- Employment counselling
- Literacy training
- Community Referrals (eg. drug counselling)
- Individual counselling support
- Assistance in securing housing
We are grateful for the support of:
- The Crown Attorney’s Office
- Defense Counsel
- Duty Counsel
- Kingston Police Force