“To promote and foster a safer and healthier community through the provision of a continuum of community based services that are needs based, consumer focused, and that provide an opportunity for individuals to achieve, maintain, and regain a balance in their life within the community.”
Established in 1949, we are one of over 50 affiliate offices across Canada of which 17 are located in Ontario.
Board of Directors – 2021 / 2022
Rani Khan – Treasurer
Jeff Manishen – Vice President
Brett Moodie – President
John Howard Society of Hamilton, Burlington & Area staff are professionally trained in a variety of disciplines including Child & Youth Worker, Social Worker, Social Service Worker, Corrections, Addictions Counsellor, Sociology and Psychology.
Our staff speak a variety of different languages and have diverse cultural, ethnic, religious, sexual orientation and ability backgrounds.
Every individual achieves success in reaching his/her full potential in a healthy, safe, and supportive community.
To promote and foster a safer and healthier community through the provision of a continuum of community based services that are needs based, consumer focused, and that provide an opportunity for individuals to achieve, maintain, and regain a balance in their life within the community.
- People have the right to live in a safe and peaceful society as well as a responsibility, implied by this right, to respect the law.
- Every person has intrinsic worth and the right to be treated with dignity, equity, fairness and compassion, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
- All people have the potential to become responsible, productive citizens.
- Every person has the right and responsibility to be informed about, and involved in the services available to them, including criminal justice, health care, education, employment, and social services.
- Justice is best served through measures that resolve conflicts, repair harm, and restore peaceful relations in society.
- To provide a range of prevention, intervention, and rehabilitative programs that alleviates issues related to crime and its root causes, poverty, unemployment, and homelessness in our community. These programs include, but are not limited to, employment counselling, skills training, adult justice services, youth services, and family and community supports.
- To provide programs and services that are inclusive, innovative, evidence-based and outcome driven and that are developed and delivered in collaboration with clients, community and government agencies, and local businesses.
- To provide a healthy and safe work environment in which the Society is able to attract, develop, and retain qualified professional, team players, who are committed to making a difference in our community. The Society encourages participation, innovation and collaboration in the development of ideas, and provides opportunities for its employees to achieve success and advancement in their individual careers. The Society supports continuous learning and work-life balance through its Performance Management System.
- The Society is committed to effective, efficient and responsible allocation, monitoring, and management of its resources, providing accountability and transparency to its funders, the public, and its clients. Allocation decisions will include the assessment of any risk associated with the use of public and private funds transferred to the Society.
- The Board of Directors, as trustees, represents the ownership of the organization on behalf of the public in carrying out its duties. Through its membership, the Board has the expertise and experience necessary to discharge its responsibilities. The Board speaks with a single voice arising from the diversity of viewpoints that each of the members brings to the Board. The Boards decisions are primarily policy decisions and determine “ends”, not the “means” for meeting those “ends”.
Link to CRA/ T3010
John Howard Society of Hamilton, Burlington and Area 2020-2021 Audited Financial