John Howard Society of Sault Ste. Marie & District

Record Suspensions

Having a criminal record can be a significant barrier to an individual’s ability to obtain employment, education, and housing. John Howard Society has been assisting people to complete Record Suspension applications since 2006 on a fee-for-service basis. A Record Suspension Specialist will guide individuals through the eligibility requirements and application process. JHS provides ongoing support to ensure all required documentation is gathered and conditions are met before submitting their application to the Parole Board of Canada.

A caution about Private Services

You may have seen ads for companies that say they can get you a record suspension faster, easier or “guaranteed.” The truth is, it’s impossible for them to speed up or guarantee the process or outcome. The eligibility requirements and process are the same for everyone, no matter if they apply through a company or on their own — everyone gets the same consideration. You do not have to pay a private company or a lawyer to obtain a record suspension, you can go through the process yourself and only pay the document and application fees.
However, if you’re having difficulty with the process and would like some assistance, try getting information and help from:

    • The Parole Board of Canada helpline (toll- free): 1-800-874-2652