Executive DirectorLocation: | Posted on: November 5, 2021
Job Type: Full-Time
Deadline: 4:00pm on December 17, 2021.
The John Howard Society of Hamilton, Burlington & Area (JHSH) is recruiting a passionate and highly motivated Executive Director (ED) to lead its professional, dedicated team. The JHSH is a dynamic, growing, not-for-profit organization dedicated to effective, just and humane responses to crime and its causes. Our organization is committed to delivering quality programs that achieve and demonstrate the best outcomes for its clients, according to their needs. Working with an evidence-based methodology and through a lens of equity, diversity and inclusion, our aim is to expand our range of services to meet the complex needs of our clients and the community, while strengthening, deepening, and broadening the impact of current programs and services.
Reporting to JHSH’s Board of Directors, the ED provides leadership, vision, and strategic oversight to the agency’s diverse operations and is responsible for the overall management of an annual budget of approximately $3.2 million and a team of 38 staff members.
- Leadership: Lead JHSH’s senior leadership team in the spirit of consultation, collaboration, and open, respectful communication through a lens of anti-oppression and anti-racism.
- Strategic Planning: Support the development and achievement of the vision and key goals of the JHSH Board through the development of a Strategic Plan.
- Operational Planning and Oversight: Ensure that the operations of JHSH meet the expectations of the Board and funders, in accordance with the policies of the organization, pursuant to the Operational Plan and in keeping with relevant legislation.
- Program Planning and Management: Ensure that the programs and services offered by JHSH reflect evidence-based practices, the culturally diverse needs of the communities JHSH serves, JHSH’s mission as well as the priorities of the Board.
- Human Resources Planning and Management: Establish a positive, healthy, inclusive, diverse and safe work environment in accordance with all relevant legislation, internal policies and best-practices reflecting a servant-leadership style. Maintain a positive and productive relationship with staff.
- Financial Planning and Management: Manage JHSH funds in accordance with the Board-approved budget as well as contracts with funders, ensuring sound financial practices, strong internal controls and consistent and detailed financial reporting.
- Community Relations and Stakeholder Engagement: Communicate with public, media, community stakeholders, clientele, and organizational networks to keep them informed of the work, purposes, and positions of the organization, to identify the benefits of the services provided and to collaborate when in the best interests of our clients.
Education: Master’s degree in a relevant field.
Experience: A track record of success in senior executive and leadership roles in the not-for-profit or public sector (ideally with specific experience providing services in community corrections, criminal justice, human rights, and employment services) and a minimum of five (5) years management experience, preferably in a not-for-profit setting.
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively with a Board of Directors, supporting it in fulfilling its governance and development responsibilities.
- Proven leadership skills including the ability to generate respect and inspire confidence from the Board, staff, government officials, and other key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated high level of knowledge and skills in human resources management and best practices.
- High level of financial literacy including budget development, financial monitoring and reporting.
- Superior problem-solving, negotiating and facilitation skills.
- Ability to develop and implement successful culturally specific programs.
- Ability to lead and manage an organization through a lens of anti-oppression and anti-racism.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, to give JHSH a strong, credible voice in the justice sectors and facilitate community engagement, partnership-building, public relations, marketing, and fundraising.
- Proficiency in the English language(s) required and the ability to speak additional languages an asset.
Above all, the successful candidate must demonstrate genuine dedication to JHSH’s values and mission.
The full Position Description can be found by clicking ‘Download Additional Information Document‘ above
Position Starts: February 1, 2022
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a résumé and letter of interest to the JHSH Hiring Committee c/o Marilyn Roberts, via email at: email@example.com by 4:00pm on December 17, 2021.
Please Note: The John Howard Society of Hamilton, Burlington & Area is an equal opportunity employer. We are particularly interested in encouraging qualified applicants from all communities that reflect the diversity of the individuals and families we serve. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier-free.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who apply and advise that we will be responding only to those selected for an interview. JHSH offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
For additional information and application process please click on ‘Download Additional Information Document’ above