We support neighbours so they are empowered to better hear each other & generate solutions together. We turn conflict into connection
Community Mediation increases safety, well-being, & community resilience. It’s a free, voluntary & volunteer-led community service.
Here’s how it works.
1. Mediation is voluntary – it’s your choice.
2. We meet with and listen to each person privately to see if mediation fits
3. A three hour mediation is booked for you together
4. Each person tells their story & is heard
5. Mediators are neutral. They help each listen to the other’s feelings, values & needs
6. Participants are empowered and supported to think up solutions together
7. Together, participants choose and commit to solutions.
Where does Community Mediation come from?
Community Mediation shifts frustration and antagonism towards good-will. It’s rooted in the principles of Restorative Justice and is based on the Transformative Mediation approach (Baruch-Bush & Folger, 1994; Barusch-Bush & Folger, 2005). Our practice in Peterborough is also informed by compassionate Nonviolent Communication (Rosenberg, 1999, 2000, 2003).
Community Mediation Peterborough is a member of the Ontario Community Mediation Coalition http://www.ontcmc-comc.com/index.html
We’d be happy to chat about any questions you have.
Community Mediation Peterborough is a free, nonprofit, volunteer service overseen by a community advisory board (John Howard Society, Peterborough Police, & Peterborough Housing Corp).
For more information contact
t: 705-743-8331 ext. 214