Are you having a hard time with a neighbour?
Do you wish things were easier?
Do you want to talk it out?
Currently Only Serving Youth (12 – 17 years)
For youth (12 – 17 years) frenemies, house mates, dormitory residents, neighbours, & tenants.
We offer a range of Restorative/ Transformative processes for resolving conflict. These include
- Sidewalk Talk listening stations,
- Listening circles,
- Restorative/ Transformative dialogues,
- Supported conversations & mediation
- Conflict coaching
We also train peer listeners and peer mediators. We currently only run training for youth 14 – 18 years, staff at partner schools, and community volunteers supporting our school-based programs, community programs for youth, and youth justice programs.
How Mediation & Supported Conversations Work
1. You call us to book a private meeting.
2. We listen to you privately to see if our service fits, you can bring a friend (1 hour or so)
3. We listen to the other person privately to see if our service fits (1 hour or so)
4. We are neutral and do not take sides.
5. If it’s a fit, we book a mediation meeting for you together (3 hours or so)
6. You each tell your story and are heard
7. You think up solutions together
8. You choose the best solutions together.
9. We call later to check in
Link to: Information Flyer about Community Mediation Peterborough (Pending updates)
Link to: Tri-fold Pamphlet about Community Mediation Peterborough (Pending updates)
We provide a process.
The content and solutions are up to you.
Issues We Mediate
Noise, pets, parking, smoke, pot, garbage, messes, shift work, trees, leaves, lawns, drive ways, fences, gossip, tension…
Our Community Mediation Practice
Our Community Mediation practice in Peterborough is based on the Transformative Mediation approach (Barusch-Bush & Folger, 2005) and rooted in Restorative Conversations. We are also informed by compassionate Nonviolent Communication (Rosenberg, 2015).
Community Mediation Peterborough is a member of the Ontario Community Mediation Coalition http://www.ontcmc-comc.com/index.html
Community Mediation does not handle:
- Policy disputes or Employment Standards
- Matters before the court or involving lawyers
- Family issues (ex. separation, divorce, custody) or other domestic conflict
- Domestic violence
Currently Only Serving Youth (12-17 Years)
Community Mediation Peterborough is an independent volunteer service offered in partnership between: