John Howard Society of York Region

Record Suspensions

A Record Suspension is an order that keeps a person’s criminal record of convictions separate from other criminal records. This means that a person’s convictions will not be revealed on criminal record checks. It does not erase a criminal record.

Record Suspensions allow people who have made positive life changes to be freed from many of the negative impacts of having a criminal record.


To be eligible, three (3) conditions MUST be met (no exceptions):

  1. You have completed your sentence
  2. You have met the required waiting period:
  • 5 years for a summary offence (or a service offence under the National Defence Act); or
  • 10 years for an indictable offence (or a service offence under the National Defence Act for which you were fined more than $5,000, detained, or imprisoned for more than 6 months)
  1. You have been of “good conduct,” have not been convicted of any new offences, and have no new charges or outstanding fees.

You are not be eligible if you have ever been convicted of:

  • A Schedule 1 Offence (sexual offence involving a child) under the Criminal Records Act (with certain exceptions); or
  • More than three (3) offences prosecuted by indictment, each with a prison sentence of two (2) years or more.


A Record Suspension Application Guide and Form can be obtained online from the Parole Board of Canada <Link:>. The application process is described in the Application Guide. The process involves:

  • Getting your criminal record from the RCMP, the local police service in the city or town where you currently live, and from each city or town you have lived during the last 5 years (if you lived in that city or town for 3 months or more)
  • Being fingerprinted
  • Paying an application fee of $631.00 (Ontario Works offices will pay for part or all of the cost).

You may need to submit your Court Information, Proof of Conviction, Military Conduct Sheet or Immigration documents depending on your conviction and sentence.

If you are having difficulty with the process and/or would like some assistance, please contact:

Alexander Blake
t: (905) 895-9943 ext. 204