To Understand anger as an emotion.
To determine negative and non-productive anger management techniques.
To learn productive and positive anger management techniques.
SESSION #1 Objectives
• To determine the anger patterns which need to be changed.
• To learn to self-monitor individual anger patterns.
• To examine the results of negative anger patterns.
• To explore the minimization of the results of negative anger patterns.
• To start a daily anger journal of thoughts, feelings and actions in
regards to anger patterns.
SESSION #2 Objectives
• To understand the positive and negative functions of anger
• To examine the myths of the anger emotion.
• To explore the physical behaviours in the anger reaction.
• To understand when anger becomes a problem
SESSION #3 Objectives
• To understand the Anger Styles and how they affect your behaviour
• To examine the non-verbal behaviours of the Anger Styles.
SESSION #4 Objectives
• To examine and understand the anger process.
• To explore the role of perception in the anger process.
• To understand the role of irrational beliefs in cognitive appraisals.
SESSION #5 Objectives
• To learn how to challenge Cognitive Appraisals.
• To examine physical anger arousal cues.
• To explore the productive and non-productive anger behaviours.
SESSION #6 Objectives
• Review Sessions 1 through 5 (Selective mini-review)
• To examine self-statements and how to use them in controlling anger.
• To understand the relationship between thinking and feelings.
• To learn Relaxation Training and Time-Out Techniques, and the
Technique’s role in controlling anger.
SESSION #7 Objectives
• To explore and to learn verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
• To learn effective listening skills.
• To learn to recognize and to avoid communication blocks.
SESSION #8 Objectives
• To examine the characteristics of a defensive individual and their use
of communicating blocks.
• To learn effective responses to dealing with the defensive individual.
• To examine the characteristics of an aggressive individual.
• To learn effective responses in dealing with the aggressive individual.
SESSION #9 Objectives
• To learn and be able to use a problem-solving technique.
• To understand the positive characteristics of an effective problem solver.
SESSION #10 Objectives
• Review and sum up the group process.
• Allow the group members to reflect on their experiences.
• Allow the group members to terminate in a positive manner.
• Evaluate the program.
Receiving referrals from social service agencies, community mental
health, schools, corrections and self-referrals.
For more information, please call
The John Howard Society of
A Social Justice Agency
275 Oak St
Ontario N9A 5E5