Check out the Caring Dads flyer here!
Caring Dads is a 17 week intervention program for fathers (including biological, step, common-law) who have physically abused, emotionally abused or neglected their children, or exposed their children to domestic violence. The group component of Caring Dads combines elements of parenting, fathering, battering and child protection practice to enhance the safety and well-being of children.
The goals of a Caring Dad’s group are to improve fathers’ relationship with their child and family, and to help them to better understand children’s development and needs. Some of the topics explored include:
- Building relationships with your children through child-centred fathering
- Recognizing unhealthy, hurtful, abusive and neglectful behaviours
- Effect on children of exposure to the abuse of their mother
- Stages of child development – what to expect
- Reading to and playing with your children
- Responding to children’s needs
- Positive communication
- Working together with children’s mothers
- Problem solving in difficult situations & managing frustration
- Alternatives to punishment
- Rebuilding trust and healing
To find out if you are eligible to participate in Caring Dads, please contact Dana Hetherton at 705-743-8331.