Bail Verification and Supervision Program
The John Howard Society provides community supervision to eligible individuals who do not have the financial or social supports to meet bail requirements.
Prospective clients are interviewed in the holding cells at the courthouse to determine eligibility. If release is approved by the court, then the clients report
weekly, or more frequently, to have their conditions monitored. Clients are offered access to other John Howard Society services or referrals to community agencies.
Who can apply?
- Men and women over 16 awaiting a bail hearing or requesting a bail review
- Individuals who have not had more than 3 fail to comply charges in the last 4 years
- Individuals who do not have access to a surety
- Individuals living within 250 km of criminal charges
How to apply:
Individuals can contact a bail supervisor using their lawyer or duty counsel:
- In the holding cells at the courthouse
- At the local jail